Orthodox Christian Church
of the Annunciation
360 Van Zile Road, Brick NJ 08724


The community was organized by Archpriest John Nehrebecki, Dean of New Jersey and a group of Orthodox Christians who desired an Orthdox Mission in central New Jersey. Accordingly we remain faithful to their goal of presenting the richness and fullness of the Orthodox faith in the English language so that it might be shared by Orthodox peoples of all nationalities.

Since the first organizational meeting on February 16, 1970, many events have occured in the life of the parish. The following are highlights:

March 15, 1970
First Divine Liturgy served.

June 7, 1970
Fr Antony Bassoline assigned as the first parish priest and services were held in Norway Hall.

June 29, 1970
The parish incorporation was approved.

August 29, 1971
The parish decided to purchase 4 acres of land with a house and garage for $45,000.00.

January 1, 1972
Fr Joseph Wargo was assigned as parish priest.

September 22, 1974
The parish decided to build an addition onto the chapel. Mr Konopko, who is a builder, carried out the construction work.

October 15, 1976
Fr David Vernak was assigned as parish priest.

August 27, 1983
The Icon "Joy of All Who Sorrow" is placed in our Church. Its feast days are October 24 and July 23.

April 7, 1985
Ground breaking ceremonies were held for the new rectory.

January 28, 1990
At the Annual Parish Meeting, it was decided to pursue the design for a new Church submitted by Barry Bennett Architects by obtaining civil engineering and other related costs for the building of a new Church.

December 9, 1990
Ground breaking ceremonies were held for the new Church. Bishop Peter presided.

October 4, 1991
Work on the foundation of the new Church began.

1992
The completion of the framing and roofing was done in April, May, and June. In the fall (September through November), the exterior insulation and exterior finish system was applied.

January 21, 1993
16' diameter fiberglass dome was placed on top of the new Church.

September 17, 1994
Dedication of the new Church was celebrated by His Beatitude, Metropolitan Theodosius, His Eminence, Archbishop Peter, Archpriest John Nehrebecki and numerous clergy and faithful.

Spring of 1997
The hand-carved Iconostasis by Fr George Zalerin was installed and the Icons written by Ksenia Pokrovsky were placed in the new Iconostasis.

Spring of 1998
A set of six bells (Zvon Peel) were installed in the bell tower in front of the Church.

December 20, 1998
The 25th Anniversary of Dn John Federoff's ordination. At the hierarchical celebration officiated by Archbishop Peter, Dn John was awarded the double orarion, Subdeacon John Suchernick was ordained to the Holy Diaconate and Mark Federoff was tonsured a Reader.

May 20, 2000
30th Anniversary celebration. Fr David Vernak was awarded the Jeweled Cross.

July 1, 2003
Fr. David Vernak assigned as Rector of Christ the Savior Church in Paramus, NJ. Fr. Gary Joseph Breton assigned as Acting Rector of Annunciation Church in Brick, NJ
MEMORY ETERNAL!

+Irene Charuk   1/28/1924 - 1/2/2010
+Irene Charuk 1/28/1924 - 1/2/2010
+Irene Charuk 1/28/1924 - 1/2/2010
+Marina Kupcha   12/3/1926 - 1/4/2010
+Marina Kupcha 12/3/1926 - 1/4/2010
+Marina Kupcha 12/3/1926 - 1/4/2010